Harvard Fire Protection District Meeting Minutes
Held November 14, 2017
Trustee Condon called the meeting of the Harvard Fire Protection District Board of Trustees to order at 6:05 pm in the meeting room of the Fire Station at 503 S. Eastman St. Present were Trustees Condon, and Clarke. Trustee Carbonetti was notified absent. Also in attendance were D/C Davidson, Lt. Pierce, Lt. Veronese, FF. J. Adams and FF. Mackie. Also present was Roger Hugg, a Harvard resident and retired chief of the Rolling Meadows Fire Department.
Trustee Condon approved Lt. Veronese’s request to speak at the beginning of the meeting, so he could depart for other scheduled commitments.
Lt. Veronese informed the Board that he is researching the possibility of changing companies that handle the District’s electronic patient care reporting. He has spoken with representatives from ImageTrend and ESO. A fee structure was submitted from ImageTrend. A $6000.00 startup fee, and approximately $2500.00 annual charges are proposed. Lt. Veronese feels this would be a cost saving over our current vendor, Zoll. Lt. Veronese also feels the new ePCR systems are more user friendly.
Lt. Veronese suggested the District upgrade the EMS computers to some form of tablet, versus the current laptops. He will obtain cost estimated for the Board to consider.
Amending the Agenda:
Motion made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to remove the item on the agenda that refers going into and returning from executive session. Condon, aye; Clarke, aye. Motion approved 2-0.
Audience Participation: None
Approval of minutes:
Motion was made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to approve minutes of the October 10, 2017 Board of Trustees meeting. Voice vote, all ayes. Motion approved 2-0.
Approval of minutes:
Motion was made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to approve minutes of the October 10, 2017 Tax Levy meeting. Voice vote, all ayes. Motion approved 2-0.
Personnel removed from Department roster:
Motion made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to remove Ben Belohlavy from the District roster. D/C Davidson stated he recently spoke with Mr. Belohlavy. Due to other activities, Mr. Belohlavy is no longer available to serve the District. Condon, aye; Clarke, aye. Motion approved 2-0.
Motion was made by Condon and seconded by Clarke to hire introductory Fire Fighters Robert Leahey and Matthew Clarke. Condon, aye; Clarke, aye. Motion approved 2-0.
Approve the 2018 Calendar of Board of Trustees meetings:
Motion was made by Condon and seconded by Clarke to approve the 2018 Calendar of Board of Trustees meetings. Voice vote all ayes. Motion approved 2-0.
Approve Ambulance Billing RFP:
Motion made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to approve the District making public a Request For Proposals on the subject of ambulance billing services. Clarke gave an overview of the RFP. Condon and D/C Davidson expressed some concerns about the current vendor’s services. A discussion was held on combining a change in the ePCR (stated above) with this RFP. Condon, aye; Clarke, aye. Motion approved 2-0.
Approve payment of Bills:
Motion was made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to approve payment of invoices for service and materials, as amended totaling $127,139.84. Condon, aye: Clarke, aye. Motion approved 2-0.
- Fire Chief: Reported via email to D/C Davidson. D/C Davidson read report to the Board.
- Staff is working on the callback situation.
- Reported on 2nd alarm fire on Rt. 14. Overall critique was good performance. Fontana FF was injured.
- Department will begin more training for the paid-on-premise personnel.
- Department will expand the use of in-house personnel to conduct training classes.
- Department is hiring two additional firefighters..
- Deputy Fire Chief:
- ESTB wants clarification on coverage of calls at Boy Scout camp. The property is within both the Harvard and Woodstock Districts. Currently WFPD handles first response.
- Needs direction on responding to Chicago Fire Department request to view documents in former employee’s personnel file. Trustee Condon to confer with District’s attorney.
- Brush Truck 763 needs a new pump. Estimated costs are $6600.00 for a Darley pump, or $4737.20 for a Hale pump. D/C Davidson to meet with Emergency Services of Elkhorn, Wisconsin. J. Adams believes the truck to be in good shape. When repairs are complete, the brush truck should last another 10 years.
- New ambulance is scheduled for delivery at the end on November or beginning of December. New radio will be installed in this vehicle. The drug cabinet will be reinforced with a heavy duty lock.
- Battalion Chief: No report.
- Training officer:
- 3 paramedic students nearing the end of class. Graduation is scheduled for December 14, 2017. National written exam in December. National practical exam in February 2018. Positive evaluations received from the physicians.
- 2 personnel in fire academy nearing completion.
- Department wants to enroll 2 or 3 students in the next Rock River paramedic class.
- Department is hiring 2 cadets now, and 2 or 3 more soon.
- Fire /Rescue Association:
- Mackie reports that invitations have been mailed for employee recognition party. All dinner arrangements have been completed.
- Hebron FPD will provide station coverage so on duty personnel may attend the party. Marengo FPD may also assist.
- Several members are meeting with FGM Architects on November 15, 2017 to discuss facility needs.
- Building Maintenance:. Condon reported that replacement of light fixtures in the south bay have been placed on hold pending the outcome of the facility study. D/C Davidson reports a serviceman has been at the station working on phones.
- Billing/Records Clerk: None
- Treasurers Report: Clarke presented current balance sheet and budget documents.
New business: None
Motion made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to adjourn meeting at 7:27pm. All ayes, motion approved 2-0.
Joseph Clarke, Sec.
Date approved: ____________________________________